The Rugby Club was formed in 1927 by 6 YMCA members, who had up till then been playing their rugby for Huddersfield RUFC. The ground and clubhouse is still on the original site although there have been a number of changes since then.
A concrete Club House was built and opened in 1975 with this being replaced by the present building “The Lawrence Batley Centre” which was built and opened in 1995. Prior to these and during redevelopment projects, players were fed and watered in a number local of hostelries including the White Swan & Packhorse Mews, Spotted Cow, Dusty Miller and Wappy Spring. The present main pitch was opened in 1989 with the “Lawrence Batley Stand” following in 1996. In 2016 the main field stand was renamed The Thomas Crapper Stand, after the sponsorship by the prestigious porcelain brand, famous for their flushing toilet system and their products being installations in Buckingham Palace.
The First XV are playing in Yorkshire 1,
The club has had a variety of success over the years, including winning the Yorkshire Shield in the late 90’s.
A Junior Section started during the summer of 1971 and now is a thriving section fielding boys and girls age groups up to and including colts.